Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Baby food

We started Mike on solids about a month ago. We have been getting an idea of what he likes and doesn't like, so I decided to try my hand at making some of his baby food 1) because I'm frugal (read cheap); 2) I know exactly what he is getting and 3) I'm kind of Susie homemakery like that sometimes...just sometimes though. So off to the store I went. I bought some peas, carrots and sweet potatoes.
$1 worth of carrots in pre-made baby food form.

$1 worth of carrots - these made about 35 servings which would probably be about 17 small jars of baby food.

Blending the peas. For the peas I just bought a bad of frozen peas and cooked them according to the package directions then pureed in the blender. Worked like a charm.

Trays and trays of peas, carrots and sweet potatoes

The end result, many many little cubes of baby food all ready for Mike! I think in total it cost me about $4 for the carrots, peas and sweet potatoes and it made about 100 cubes. I would estimate that a jar is probably the equivalent to 2 cubes so this made approximately 50 small jars of baby food which would have cost me about $20. Next up, peaches and nectarines!

No comments:

Post a Comment