You know you are a mom when you get spit up on multiple times EVERY SINGLE DAY and don't mind, in fact you plan things around it. I literally either a) walk around shirtless until Mike is safely strapped into his car seat each morning (makes it much harder for him to get me if he is strapped into his seat) or b) wear a raincoat until he is strapped in. This may seem a bit silly but I have had to change my complete outfit more than once when I was already running late for work.
No one really seems to understand when I tell them "he spits up... A LOT." They look at me and smile like they know what I'm talking about and nod a little bit and put their arms out to hold my darling little boy. Sometimes they are lucky and decides to keep his lunch in. Usually, however, after a few minutes, they give me a shocked looked (something akin to "what in the hell is wrong with this baby and why am I suddenly covered in milk"). I kindly explain once again that "he spits up a lot" while handing them a towel to clean up with.
I read in multiple places that most babies stop spitting up by 4 months. We are rounding out 5 and he shows no signs of stopping. It has gotten better however. And for the worriers out there: we have discussed this with his pediatrician multiple times. His doctor is not concerned because a) Mike is still gaining plenty of weight and b) it doesn't bother Mike at all. I think my favorite quote on this subject is "is isn't a medical problem, it's a laundry problem." My washing machine couldn't agree more.
See that white stuff on my chest...yep, spit up. Mike has it all down his front too. This picture really doesn't do justice to the quantity, but you get the idea.
Are you breastfeeding? Leila had a bad time with that too & someone told me to lay off dairy products. I cut dairy almost completely out of my diet & in a few days she was a totally different kid. She went from spit up queen to hardly ever spitting up. When she did it was always a result of me having too much dairy. Same thing when we switched over to formula - she hardly ever spit up with the soy based but all the time with the regular stuff.
ReplyDeleteI am breastfeeding. I'll have to try cutting out dairy, it would be nice to not be covered in baby puke all the time :)
ReplyDeleteyou may have spit-up all over you, but you sure look happy!
ReplyDelete