Friday, August 5, 2011

Throwing Rocks

Sometimes we learn the biggest lessons from the simple things.

Earlier this week we braved the heat to get everyone out of the house.  We made the short drive to Fabick lake knowing that it would likely be deserted and that Sammy could swim to her heart's desire.  Mike found a little bank of rocks and started to take aim.  Within seconds Brad was by his side "coaching" him on proper techniques of throwing rocks.  They covered overhand throws, side armed throws, underhand throws and finally how to skip a rock.  Mike listened intently and tried his hardest to mimic Brad at each step in the lesson.  Both Brad and I were hit with a few wayward rocks and cheered each time Mike mastered a throw (well as much as a toddler can master anything besides saying "no").  At the end of the lesson Mike had improved his rock throwing skills, Brad had bonded even more with his son, and I had the pleasure of watching my "boys" cultivating a relationship that I hope will continue to grow and grow and grow.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment