Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Good Day Gone Bad

Today was supposed to be a great day. Fantastic even. Let me explain. At work, our annual United Way campaign is in full swing. Peabody is really good at sucking the money right out of you with auctions, jeans days, prizes and a wii bowling tournament. My boss and I formed a team for bowling and today was our first practice in "Ten Pin Alley" and our first match. The practice was set for 10am and the match for 1pm. We also planned a baby shower for one of the guys I work with with gifts at 11:15, lunch from 11:30 to 1 and cupcakes afterwards. So if you are following work was going to involve bowling, going out to lunch and cupcakes today. Now maybe your job is cooler than mine, but in my book that is a pretty kick-ass day of work. So to make the story more interesting I'll tell you that all of those things did indeed happen and I did get to participate in all of them. So why was today not so great? Come back tomorrow and I'll tell you...just kidding. Read on...


I called my dad this morning as I was driving to work. This isn't really out of the ordinary. I hadn't talked to him in a few days and I just wanted to see how he was doing. When I called, my mom answered. Which is a little weird because she usually sleeps in, but school started for her yesterday so I didn't think much of it. Once I asked her how things were going was when my day quickly went into a downward spiral. Apparently my dad had been having some medical issues over night and they were heading to the emergency room "as soon as my mom finished her toast." My first thought...WHUCK??!?!? Dad is agreeing to go to the ER and you are finishing your toast? See, my dad NEVER wants to go to the doctor (and even that is an understatement). His arm could be falling off (O-F-F, off) and he would claim he didn't need to go. So the fact that he was willing to go immediately started the alarms in my head and I can honestly say I heard "do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to the ER." So after a few hours I get an update from my mom who tells me that they have decided my dad needs to be transferred to a hospital in Salt Lake City via ambulance, and the doctors at Evanston Regional Hospital aren't really sure what is wrong. Can we say scary? So my dad was wisked away to University Hospital for tests and observation. Still not sure what is going on. But that is why my super fantastic day is not being so super fantastic at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin! I realize this is a bit belated, but how is your dad??? I just read this and am really hoping all is well and it turned out to be nothing. Love you to and your parents. xoxo Emily

    ReplyDelete