Our little man was born on December 9, 2009 at 9:33am. He tipped the scales at 8lb 6oz and was 20.75 inches long.
The 17.5 hours up to his arrival went something like this...
My water broke on 12-8-09 at about 4:15 pm. Yes, I was at work. Not my fondest moment of work, but not as bad as I thought it would be either. Needless to say I told me boss I had to leave immediately and was on the way to the elevators before anyone seemed to really grasp what was going on. I called Brad on my way to the car and he answered the phone with "is it time?" I replied it was and told him I would meet him at home then we could go to the hospital together (I wasn't having contractions yet so I wasn't too worried about the 15 minute drive home). We got to the hospital around 5:30pm and I was 3 cm dilated and completely effaced. The contractions started around 6pm. At this point they were 9 minutes apart. I got an epidural around 10:30 and kept making good progress until 2am. At 4am they checked me again and no progress had been made so the doctor decided to start me on some pitocin to get the contractions going again. By 6am I was 10 cm and ready to go. The doctor decided to let me "labor down" for a while and we finally started pushing around 7am. I pushed for 90 minutes and had very little progress. At this point my doctor decided to try to use forceps. His exact words being "I am confident that with 1, maybe 2 contractions this baby will be out". Now after 16 hours in labor and 90 minutes of pushing, this sounded like heaven. So they prepared to use the forceps. Now apparently doctors don't use forceps very often anymore because everyone and their dog wanted to watch this process. Besides Brad and myself there were 13 other people in the delivery room at this point...13!!!! Well 4 contractions later we still had no baby :( at which point my doctor looks at me again and says "I really think our only option is a c-section." This was the moment they had told us about in baby class where you always expect it to happen to someone else. Well it happened to me. So a c-section it was (so glad I spent the last 16.5 hours in labor to have it end in a c-section). So exactly 8 minutes and 40 seconds after they made the first incision my beautiful baby boy was screaming his lungs out.
No comments:
Post a Comment