I found a tutorial from
design mom on how to
build two toddler beds for $75. I was intrigued and as we have been trying to decide what to do with Mike's "big boy" room, convinced Brad that we should build our own toddler bed. I must be persuasive because first thing Saturday morning we headed to Joann's and Home Depot for supplies. We bought everything we needed (aside from staples for the staple gun which we already had) for under $45. The total project took about 2-2.5 hours and I am pretty pleased with the end process. As I've mentioned before my craft skills are severely lacking, so if I can do this so can you(assuming you have a husband who is much more anal than I am about being sure things are measured and cut correctly).
If you want to make this yourself, be sure to read the tutorial above. That being said, we made a few minor adjustments. We used a single piece of plywood that was 3/8" for all parts instead of the sides being 3/8" thick and the base being 1/4" thick. She suggests 4.5 yards of fabric, while you do need 4.5 yards total, it only needs to be 16" wide so I would suggest buying 1.5-2 yards and then piecing it together...the fabric was the most expensive part of the project. Also, make sure to measure your mattress before you start. Our crib mattress was larger than hers and even with adjusting and adding extra space it is still pretty snug.
 |
| Brad cutting the sides and base |
 |
| Mike and Buzz supervising the process |
 |
| Reinforcing and connecting the corners |
 |
| The assembled box frame |
 |
| Stapling the batting to the inside |
 |
| Connecting the batting on the top |
 |
| Starting to connect the fabric |
 |
| Finished bed minus the mattress |
 |
| I think somebody likes it! |
Good job guys!! It looks great!
ReplyDeletexo,
sk